Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Drawing with Paint Artists (Primary 6)
TOPIC: COMPUTER AND THE SOCIETY
1. Small Scale Applications of Computer in the Society
2. Large Scale Applications of Computer in the Society
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. mention small scale application of computer in the society;
2. mention large scale application of computer in the society.
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS: The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Digital watch
2. Automatic door lock
3. Auto pilot
4. Picture Charts
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary Schools Book 6
All Relevant Material
Relevant link – Useful and Quick Links for Second Term Plan Lesson Notes All Subjects Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Computer and computer applications are used in various aspects of human activity. In fact, most professions have application software written specifically for them to solve certain tasks.
Architects have the AUTOCAD software that aid in the design of building and other structures.
SMALL SCALE APPLICATION OF COMPUTER IN THE SOCIETY
1. Digital Wrist watches replacing clock.
2. Word Processing replacing manual typewriting.
3. Automatic door locks replacing manual locks.
4. Automatic Gates in houses replacing manual gates.
5. Automatic traffic control system replacing human traffic wardens.
6. Computer Desktop Publishing in printing presses to reduce pre-press processes.
7. CAT – Scan replacing X – Ray.
8. Computer aided graphic designing replacing manual drawings.
9. Computer aided architectural designs replacing manual drawings.
10. Computer aided animation in the entertainment and TV broadcasting.
11. Video Projection for presentation replacing manual papers.
12. Digital and Video phones replacing analogue telephones.
LESSON TWO – LARGE SCALE APPLICATIONS OF COMPUTER OF THE SOCIETY
1. Auto pilot used in airplanes.
2. Satellite communications like CNN, Weather Forecasting, TV Broadcasting.
3. Office Automation like Word Processing Electronic mail, Internet.
4. Space Shuttle
5. Robotics in engineering.
6. Automatic Teller Machine used to withdraw money.
7. Global electronic air ticketing system.
8. Global Telephone and GSM Communication.
9. Oil Exploration and Drilling Operations.
10. Computer Chips Manufacturing firms.
LESSON THREE – WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides class discussion – small scale of computer application and large scale of computer application.
3. Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. Mention small scale application of computer in the society;
2. Mention large scale application of computer in the society.