Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – GAMES AND SPORTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – VOLLEYBALL
TOPIC – BASKETBALL
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able –
- narrate the history of basketball in Nigeria;
- state basketball facilities and equipment;
- draw and label a basketball court with dimensions.
Ball and games
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Video clips
- Basketball court
- Basketball ball
- Stop watch
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Compendium Physical and Health Education for basic 5;
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information – Wikipedia
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Basketball is a limited contact sport played on a rectangular court. While most often played as a team sport with five players on each side, three – on- – three, two – on – two, and one – on – one competitions are also common.
HISTORY OF BASKETBALL IN NIGERIA
Basketball in Nigeria started in the late 50’s by a man named Walid Zabadne. Nigeria’s national basketball team joined FIBA in 1964.
The Nigerian national basketball team is overseen by the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF).
Nigeria is the only African nation to ever qualify for the Summer Olympics through the FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament. In 2015, Nigeria won its first crown as basketball champion of Africa.
Today, the game is gaining much ground both in the universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, post-primary and primary schools.
Nigeria’s male basketball team remained Africa’s highest ranked team on the FIBA ranking released on March 1, 2018. The team which won all their three 2019 World Cup qualifying games in Mali last week, also retained their number 32 ranking in the world.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
Basketball facilities and equipment are –
- The playing court
- Basketball Shooting Equipment
- Shot Clock
BASKETBALL COURT DIMENSION
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Narrates the history of basketball in Nigeria;
- Discusses the facilities and equipment;
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
- Draws and labels basketball court;
- Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label the court.
- Summarizes the major points on the board;
- Pupil’s Activities – write notes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Narrates the history of basketball in Nigeria (2 marks).
Mention 5 facilities and equipment.
draw and label basketball court with dimensions (3 marks).