Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
TOPIC: Choosing A Career
Career is an occupation or a profession, that one undertake for a long period of his/her life time and drives monetary benefit from it.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor):
- Explain the term career;
- Mention different types of career;
- Identify and choose their future careers;
- Explain the importance of dignity of labour.
The pupils are required to already have learned in basic 6:
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictures of various occupations.
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Bible (Gen. 4:1-6, Matt, 13:54-58, II Thes3:6-13)
- Course Book
- Other Learning Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CHOOSING A CAREER
Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions you will make in life. It’s about so much more than deciding what you will do to make a living.
The importance of selecting a career with which we are satisfied cannot be overemphasized from the beginning of our careers until retirement.
TYPES OF CAREER
- Gen. 4:1-6, Matt, 13:54-58
- Hair plating
- Carpentry, etc.
Career planning is an ongoing process that can help you manage your learning and development.
The career planning process has four steps:
Step 1: Knowing Yourself – Skills, likes/dislik.
Step 2: Finding Out – Exploring what is out there.
Step 3: Making Decisions – Comparing options.
Step 4: Taking Action – Working towards your goals .
DIGNITY OF LABOUR
The dignity of labour (work), is the philosophy that all types of jobs are treated equally, and no occupation is considered superior.
The dignity of labour is one of the major theme in the Christian ethics. i.e. the right of workers to be:
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Defines Career;
- Pupil’s Activities Participates in class discussion;
- Asks pupils to mention the work their parents do;
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention parent’s occupations;
- Guides pupils to select suitable occupations;
- Leads the pupils to discover that there is dignity in labour (all jobs are important);
- Pupil’s Activities – Participates in the selection of career.
- Note taking.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- explain the term career;
- mention six types of career;
- list six careers and choose three according to their scale of preference;
- mention four importance of dignity of labour.
- Gen. 4:1-6
- Matt, 13:54-58
- II Thes3:6-13