Last Updated on May 9, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
SCHEME OF WORK
THEME 1: BASIC CONCEPT IN AGRICULTURE
TOPIC – REVISION OF SOME TOPICS IN BASIC THREE’S WORK
TOPIC – CLASSIFICATION OF SOIL
- Clay soil
- Sandy soil
- Loamy soil
TOPIC – CHARACTERISTICS OF SOIL
- Hard large, loosely packed particle.
- Does not hold water.
- Rough when it is rubbed between the fingers.
- Does not hold many nutrients.
- Crops do not grow well on sandy soil.
- Has small and closely packaged particles.
- Smooth when dry and sticky when wet.
- Can hold a lot of nutrients.
- Does not allow air and water through it.
- It holds water very well.
- Most crops do not grow on it.
- Loamy soil – Contains both good characteristics of both sandy and loamy soil.
TOPIC – SOIL FORMATION
- Different types of soil formation
- How they are formed
TOPIC – PROPERTIES OF SOIL
TOPIC – CAUSES OF LOSS IN SOIL FERTILITY
TOPIC – WAYS OF MAKING SOIL FERTILE/HOW TO MAINTAIN SOIL FERTILITY
- Crop rotation
- Bush fallowing
WEEK 8/TOPIC – PREPARATION OF COMPOST MANURE
- Meaning of compost/manure
- Methods of compost making:
- Processing/steps involved in making compost:
- Dig four pits (a, b, c and d) of equal sizes
- (mx) M X 0.5m
- Empty the compost into pit A arrange in layers and wet with water.
- After 2 weeks, move the content in pit A to pit B. This is called first turn.
- After 2 weeks, move the content in pit B to pit C. This is the second turn.
- Finally turn, move the compost in pit C to pit D.
- The content in pit D is referred to as compost/manure after 6 – 8 weeks. Cover to prevent evaporation before applying to the soil.
Prepared by placing the compost materials in a heap buried with soil and moistened with water.
THEME 2: PROCESS OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
TOPIC – WHY WE PROCESS FARM PRODUCE
- Meaning of food processing
- Importance of food processing:
- Improve usage,
- Improve food value,
- Remove poisonous,
- Prepare food for storage,
- Ready for eating directly or indirectly,
- To get different varieties of food stuff from the same farm produce,
- Provides employment opportunities for people,
- It makes transportation of processed produce easier since it required less space.
TOPIC – PRESERVATION OF FARM PRODUCE
- Meaning of preservation of farm produce
- Importance of farm produce preservation:
- Retain freshness,
- Retain the colour, taste and nutritional values,
- Reduce loss,
- Prolong shelf life,
- Prevent possible contamination and infection from unpreserved food items,
- Make food available in areas where they are not produced,
- Help in protecting farm produce from insects and other pests attack,
- Make farm produce remain good and viable for planting in the next season,
- Save money (buying at a cheap price when in season).
WEEK 12 – REVISION
WEEK 13 – EXAMINATION