Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – TELECOMMUNICATION SYSTEMS IN NIGERIA (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: GENDER DISCRIMINATION AND ITS CONSEQUENCES
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- Identify areas in which gender discrimination are occurring in their community;
- Discuss the consequences of such acts of gender discrimination;
- Suggest ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of relevant posters and photographs.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Gender discrimination means unequal treatment or a situation in which girls and women are treated less than man because of their sex.
Gender discrimination is the idea and situation based on a person’s gender or sex, which more often affects girls and women. That is, unequal treatment between a boy and a girl or man and women.
Areas in which gender discrimination occurred are:
6. Social activities,
7. Security and defence, etc.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCE OF GENDER DISCRIMINATION?
1. Under utilization of human resources,
2. Denials of equal opportunities,
3. Denials of fundamentals human right.
4. Demoralization or discouragement.
WAYS OF REDUCING GENDER DISCRIMINATION
1. Equal opportunity for men and women,
2. Respect for the fundamental human rights of women,
3. Abrogation of culture which are inimical to women, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Enumerates and discusses areas in which gender discrimination occurs;
3. Guides pupils to mention more areas of gender discrimination in their community;
Pupil’s Activities – Mention more areas of gender discrimination in their community.
4. Guides pupils to ask questions on the consequences of gender discrimination;
Pupil’s Activities – Ask questions on the teacher’s explanations.
5. Lists and discusses the solutions to gender discrimination.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion on ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced in our community.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. List 3 areas in which gender discrimination occurs;
2. State 2 consequences of gender discrimination;
3. List 2 ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced in the community.