Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
ENGLISH STUDIES – GRAMMAR
TOPIC: WORD AND OPPOSITE – ANTONYMS
Antonym is a words that is opposite in meaning with another word. Words always have opposite. Another word for opposite is antonym.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. identify the antonyms of given words, and form new words from their antonyms correctly;
2. use the words and their antonyms correctly.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
2. Flash cards
3. Charts showing antonyms
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Antonym is a words that is opposite in meaning with another word. Words always have opposite. Another word for opposite is antonym
Word – Opposite
1. Narrow – wide
2. Ancient – modern
3. Outside – inside
4. Weak – strong
WRITE THE ANTONYMS OF THESE WORDS:
1. Big ________________
2. Great ________________
3. Beautiful ________________
4. Ugly ________________
5. Clever ________________
6. Happy ________________
7. Rich ________________
REPLACE EACH HIGHLIGHTED WORD WITH AN ANONYM (OPPOSITE)
1. He is a very poor man.
2. The weather is bright.
3. The class captain is a very brilliant boy.
6. Ngozi is the best pupil in the class.
5. That is a fake material.
7. The drug is sweet.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meanings of antonyms with examples;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
3. Guides pupils to find the antonyms of given words using context or the dictionary;
Pupil’s Activities – Find out the antonyms of given words using context or the dictionary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list the antonyms of given words;
2. use the words in sentences correctly.