Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
FIRST TERM/WEEK 1
SECOND TERM/WEEK 8
TOPIC: WORD FORMATION – SYNONYMS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. identify the synonyms of given words, and form new words from their synonyms correctly;
2. use the words and their synonyms correctly
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Course book
2. Flash cards
3. Charts showing synonyms and antonyms
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English Book 6
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
A Synonym is a word that has a similar meaning with another word.
Sometimes, the word cannot replace it completely. It may just be similar.
Start and begin
Boy and male
Finish, stop and end
Antonym and opposite
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English 6
Page 122C, 1 – 3
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meanings of synonyms with examples;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
3. Consciously. Guides pupils to find the synonyms of given words using context or the dictionary;
Pupil’s Activities – Find out the synonyms of given words using context or the dictionary.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
1. list the synonyms of given words;
2. use the words in sentences correctly.
3. attempt all the questions below –
WORK BOOK (ASSIGNMENT)
WRITE THE SYNONYMS OF THE FOLLOWING WORDS
1. Big _______________
2. Great _______________
3. Beautiful _______________
4. Ugly _______________
5. Clever _______________
6. Happy _______________
7. Rich _______________
REPLACE EACH HIGHLIGHTED WORD WITH A SYNONYMS (SIMILAR)
7. She is a very poor woman.
8. The weather is bright.
9. The class captain is a very brilliant girl.
10. This is a fake materials.