Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
READING AND WRITING
TOPIC: Introductory and Concluding Paragraph
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able:
recognize how introductory paragraphs are written;
list the functions of introductory paragraph e.g. – it gives either good or bad impression of the whole write-up, tells the reader what to expect in the essay, etc;
write good introductory paragraphs and body of essay.
- write effective concluding paragraph to a given essay.
- The pupils are required to already have learned in their previous lesson – reading Comprehension.
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Sample composition
- Course book
- A Sample of a concluding paragraph.
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- MacMillan Brilliant Primary English English Book 6
- All Relevant Materials
- Internet Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
WRITING PARAGRAPHS: INTRODUCTORY, MIDDLE AND CONCLUDING
- Introducing essays/compositions with effective introductory, middle and concluding aspects.
- Use introductory paragraphs to indicate the direction of the composition will go.
- Writing a good and effective concluding paragraph to a given essay in order to tie up the ideas.
- Using the summary of points made in the essay as a conclusion.
Reference Materials – MacMillan Brilliant Primary English Book 6
Topic – Role of Religion
Composition – my school and my father
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Leads pupils to discuss how best to introduce an essay;
- Pupil’s Activities – Write the first paragraph of an essay topic provided by the teacher.
- Leads them to write good introductory paragraph on the topic: “My school”;
- Pupil’s Activities – Work as a class to write a composition on “My School” under the teacher’s guidance.
- Leads pupils to produce suitable paragraphs;
- Pupil’s Activities – Organize the sentences logically, emphasizing the opening paragraph.
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss what should be the content of such composition.
- Guides pupils to write good essay with an effective concluding paragraph;
- Pupil’s Activities – Write an essay with good introductory paragraph, middle and concluding paragraph.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- write good introductory paragraph on a given topic;
- give good points to constitute middle of the essay; and
- write a good concluding paragraph in order to drive the message home.