Last Updated on December 9, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
FIRST TERM EXAMINATION
PRIMARY 6 (BASIC 6)
INSTRUCTION: Answer all the questions.
Read carefully and answer the question below:
l had a terrible experience on the way to school on Wednesday morning. As we were arriving at the gates, l saw an old man waiting to cross the road. l realized he was our neighbor, Mr Nwakwo. A small dog sat at his feet. He was holding the hand of a tiny girl of about four years old. She is his granddaughter, Raliat. Mr Nwakwo looked from left to right and back again — Just the way we are taught to do before crossing the road. The little girl stood patiently waiting. Everything looked fine.
Suddenly that changed. The dog noticed a cat on the other side of the road. It dashed across the road, weaving between cars, buses and taxis. It was frightening to watch. But then things suddenly got worse. The little girl gave a cry and started to run after her pet. She sped right into the fast moving traffic. Car brakes squealed. By standers screamed. The old man threw up his hands helplessly.
Miraculously the little girl made it across the road to her panting dog. Fortunately none of the cars were speeding, and there were no accidents. Soon the little girl, Her dog and the aged man were reunited. The whole incident had happened in only a few minutes.
1. When did this incident happen?
2. Where did it take place?
3. Give 3 words that describe sounds in the report:
4. Did the incident end happily or sadly?
5. Give reasons for your answer?
Choose the correct options:
1. Make hay while the sun _____________________.
[ a ] shines
[ b ] shone
[ c ] shone
2. I am _____________________ rice.
[ a ] eating
[ b ] eaten
[ c ] ate
3. This is the girl _____________________ stole the meat.
[ a ] which
[ b ] who
[ c ] where
4. The man _____________________ is with the headmaster is my father.
[ a ] who
[ b ] which
[ c ] whom
5. Add a suffix from the list to this word to form a new word “enjoy“_____________________.
[ a ] ment
[ b ] less
[ c ] ness
6. Choose a prefix to add to this word “understand“_____________________.
[ a ] un
[ b ] mis
[ c ] dis
7. The teacher shouted _____________________ at the naughty boy.
[ a ] angry
[ b ] angrily
[ c ] fast
8. We met _____________________ school.
[ a ] at
[ b ] behind
[ c ] with
9. Hassan _____________________ a new bicycle.
[ a ] have
[ b ] has
[ c ] have
10. l _____________________ to the cinema this evening
[ a ] will give
[ b ] is going
[ c ] am going
11. They decided to go on the hike __________ the weather was bad
[ a ] although
[ b ] because
[ c ] but
12. My grandfather is weak and old _____________________.
[ a ] young
[ b ] strong
[ c ] feeble
Choose the correct form of the verb in the sentences below:
13. She _____________________ from the interview when it began to rain
[ a ] returned
[ b ] was returning
[ c ] had returning
14. Daniel _____________________ some stew. It is ready now.
[ a ] has cooked
[ b ] has been cooking
[ c ] is cooking
Pick out the adverbs in the following sentences:
15. The pupils ate hurriedly because it was already time for school to open.
[ a ] ate
[ b ] hurriedly
[ c ] already
[ d ] school
15. The dam is so full it is ____________ overflowing.
[ a ] often
[ b ] almost
[ c ] hardly
1. Respell the following words and use each to build sentences
2a. Copy the table put each Noun from the in correct column:
Common Noun – Proper Noun – Abstract Noun – Collective Noun
i. A suit of clothes
vi. A swarm of bees
2b. Complete the table below:
Present Tense – Present continuous – Tense Past Tense
i. Arrive, ________________________, ________________________.
ii. ________________________, Putting ________________________.
iii. ________________________, ________________________, Gave.
iv. Fight ________________________, ________________________
3a. Use the correct prefixes from the list to make words “Un, Co, Semi, pre.
3b. Join these sentences to make one sentence each us;
“that, who, inaddition, however“.
i. l was so tired. l slept immediately l got home
ii. This is the trader. He sells clothes.
iii. Favour wants to take up piano lesson. She wants to take up drums now
iv. We have an English test today. We are not sitting for it.