Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: FOOD AND NUTRITION
TOPIC: Meal Service and Entertainment
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- identify and state the various types of meal service;
- Discuss the importance of meal service;
- state and practice good eating habits;
- mention ways of receiving and entertaining guest.
- The pupils are required to already have learned
- major meal of the day I
- meal of the day II
- special dishes and drinks
- cooking tradition dishes and drinks
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of table cloth, place mats, cutlery, small flowers vase, serving dishes and drinks, trays, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
Related post – food and nutrition, meals of the day I, meals of the day II, classification of food and source of nutrients, menu chart for the day, prepare and serve traditional dishes and drinks for special occasions, cooking traditional dishes and drinks. scheme of work – first term – second term – third term.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Meal service is a meal served at any regular occasion such as breakfast, lunch and dinner.
TYPES OF MEAL SERVICE
- Kitchen service –
- Tray service – meals are arranged in tray. This is mostly used in serving patients (at the hospital) or send meals to the service room.
- Table service – meals are served by waiter or waitress as the diner sits and relax at table.
IMPORTANCE OF MEAL SERVICE
- It saves you money.
- It is healthier food.
- It adds variety to your diets.
- It determines values for guest.
- Guest pay more for quality service.
MATERIALS REQUIRED FOR MEAL SERVICE
- Table cloth
- Place mats
- Small flower vase
- Serving dishes and drinks
- Water and wine glasses
- Natural flowers
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Prepares for practical work;
- Pupil’s Activities – Discuss and enumerate the type of meal service used in their home, Discuss and list materials required for meal services.
- Pupil’s Notes – Write short notes written by the teacher.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – meal service and entertainment II.
- mention two types of meal service;
- list 4 items that are important for table service.