Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – CONSEQUENCES OF DISLOYALTY (PRIMARY 5)
TOPIC: ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- identify the arms of government.
- differentiate between the arms.
- state why the the division of government into three arms is necessary.
- explain the functions of the three arms of government (executive, judiciary, and legislature).
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Video clips
- Nigerian Constitution
- Resource person
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Government is the group of people with authority to govern the public affairs.
ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
FUNCTIONS OF THE ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
1. Executive carries out day to day function of government.
Examples are the President, Governors, Ministers, Commissioners, etc.
2. Legislative makes law for good government.
Examples are the Senate, House of Representatives, State House of Assembly, Councilors, etc.
3. Judiciary interprets laws and activities of the legislative and Executives.
Examples are the courts, judges, magistrates, justice etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions
2. Guides pupils to mention people they see in government and government institutions.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify some government officials and institutions.
3. Shows pictures or video clips of government institutions e.g. offices, National, Assembly, courts etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch and make notes on video clips and pictures.
4.Takes pupils on a trip to government institutions.
Pupil’s Activities – Role – play or simulate some government functionaries.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – necessity for division of government into three arms.
1. identify the three arms of government.
2.bshow the differences between the three arm by mentioning their duties.
3. discuss two things that will happen if there is no cooperation between the three different arm of government.
4. choose which of the three would prefer to belong and give reasons.