Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ART
TOPIC: Traditional Dances
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- watch a video of a traditional dance.
- perform a specified traditional/cultural dance.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of musical instuments e.g. Drums, Gong, Pattlers or Shakers, Wooden drums, Clappers, Xylophones, etc; Pictures of dancers performing; DVDs or VCDs Recording of dances.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
DANCE STEPS IN A SPECIFIC LOCAL DANCE – YORUBA – BATA DANCE
The Bata dance is common among the Yoruba tribe. It involves the sharp movement of the joints of the body to the rhythm of the drum.
The characteristics of the dance are –
- Twisting of the waist
- Bent knees
- Flat foot
- Tilting of trunk
- Isolation of body part
- Acrobatic step
- Expressive movement
- Shaking of the body.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses the different occasions for performing them.
- Pupil’s Activities – Imitate the dance movement as observed in the video.
- Demonstrates a specified local dance using the basic movements.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practices a specified dance guided by the teacher. Perform in a group with musical accompaniment.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – dance steps in a specific local dance.
- identify one traditional dance of their area.
- perform a specified dance in a group.