BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Computer Studies (Information Technology) Primary 5
TOPIC: COMPUTER SYSTEM
1. Meaning of Computer System
2. Components of Computer System
3. Meaning of Hardware and Software
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Explain the term, ‘computer system’.
2. Mention the component of computer system.
3. Explain the meaning of hardware and software.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of functional computer system.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Leads the pupils to perform some activities on functional computer systems that enable them to understand the concept of computer system and identify its components.
MEANING OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
computer is an electronic machine that accepts data as input, processes the data and gives out information.
COMPONENT OF COMPUTER SYSTEM
There are three major components of a computer system –
1. Computer Hardware
2. Computer Software
3. Computer Human (People) Ware
LESSON TWO – MEANING (EXAMPLES) OF COMPUTER HARDWARE
These are components of computer system that can be touched by the human hand.
For examples –
4. System unit
8. Card reader
9. Flash drive
MEANING (EXAMPLE) OF COMPUTER SOFTWARE
These are written programs, instructions or protocol that control and make computer function.
Computer software can not be touch but can only be seen on the monitor.
There are two types of computer software, application software and system software.
1. Application software performs certain task depending on the program.
2. System software run the whole system.
COMPUTER HUMAN (PEOPLE) WARE
Human ware refers to the human beings that use the system.
In other words, the users of the computer system are the end – users and professional alike.
1. Computer Teachers
2. Computer Engineers
3. Computer Operators
4. Computer Programmers
5. Computer Managers
6. Computer Analysts
7. Computer Librarians
8. Computer Policy makers
9. End Users
Quick Activities – Differentiate between computer hardware and computer software.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks the pupils if there is any parts of computer that can not see and touch.
Pupil’s Activities – Expected response – Yes/No.
3. Reminds the pupils that parts of computer that can be see and touch is called hardware and other other parts that cannot be touched but seen on the monitor is called software.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Attempt all the following questions –
1. __________________________ is the component of computer system that can be touch and see.
2. __________________________ is the component of computer system that cannot be touched but seen on the computer monitor.
3. Differential between hardware and software.
Mention 5 components of Computer hardware.
Mention 2 types of computer software.