Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ART
THEME – PERFORMING ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING AND USES OF TRADITIONAL DANCE
TOPIC: TRADITIONAL DANCES
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- watch a video of a traditional dance.
- imitate and perform a specified traditional/cultural dance.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of musical instuments e.g. Drums, Gong, Pattlers or Shakers, Wooden drums, Clappers, Xylophones, etc; Pictures of dancers performing; DVDs or VCDs Recording of dances.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 1 – STATE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF NIGERIAN TRADITIONAL DANCE
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 2 – MENTION 3 USES OF NIGERIAN TRADITIONAL DANCES
- It is used for entertainment.
- It used for exercising the body.
- It used for expression m
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 3 – STATE OCCASIONS WHERE NIGERIAN TRADITIONAL DANCES ARE PERFORM
- Traditional religious activities
PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 4 – WATCH NIGERIAN TRADITIONAL DANCE VIDEOS AND IMITATE THEM
TEACHER’S/PUPIL’S ACTIVITIES 5 – GUIDE THE PUPILS AND PERFORM DEMONSTRATE NIGERIAN TRADITIONAL TRADITIONAL DANCE
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Plays Nigerian traditional dance videos.
- Pupil’s Activities – Watch and imitate the dance movement as observed in the video.
- Demonstrates a specified local dance using the basic movements.
- Introduces drumming.
- Pupil’s Activities – Practices a specified dance guided by the teacher. Perform in a group with musical accompaniment.
- identify one traditional dance of their area.
- perform a specified dance in a group.