Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – READING AND WRITING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Features of Informal and Formal Letters (Primary 5 and 6)
TOPIC – ACKNOWLEDGING RECEIPT OF LETTERS OF CONGRATULATIONS AND SYMPATHY
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. distinguish between formal and informal acknowledgement.
2. use the language appropriate for each, e.g. a Classmate who is ill in hospital (informal).
3. write and send such acknowledgement.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Model Congratulations and Sympathy Letters
2. Course book
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
ACKNOWLEDGING RECEIPT OF LETTERS OF CONGRATULATIONS AND SYMPATHY AS TO ENABLE THE SENDER KNOW THAT HIS LETTER WAS RECEIVED
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Guides pupils to acquire the appropriate style for acknowledging letters or telegram of congratulations or sympathy.
Pupil’s Activities – read the sample of acknowledgement provided by the teacher. Use the lexical and structural items in letters, the teacher guiding. Draft formal and acknowledgement letters of their own.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. make correct sentences or statements with given words and phrases or about something.
2. Write and send letters of congratulations and sympathy.
3. distinguish between formal and informal acknowledgement.