Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – OUR VALUES
TOPIC – SELF RELIANCE
1. Meaning and Characteristics of Self Reliance
2. Importance of Self Reliance
3. The Process of Discovering and Nurturing One’s Talents
4. Consequences of Wasted Talents and Undiscovered Skills
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1.explain the meaning of self- reliance.
2. identify importance of self reliance.
3. identify processes of discovering one’s natural talents.
4. discuss how to nurture the identified talents.
5. mention the consequences of wasted talents and undeveloped skills.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Introductory textbooks on self reliance.
2. Visit to practical skills acquisition centres.
3. Practical activities to enable students identify their skills and talents.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF SELF RELIANCE
Self reliance is the ability of getting things done by yourself without the help of other people. That’s, to make decisions on your own without depending on people but yourself.
ATTRIBUTES/CHARACTERISTICS OF SELF RELIANCE
1. Self belief
2. Love to learn
PROCESSES OF IDENTIFYING NURTURING AND PERFECTION OF TALENTS AND SKILLS
5. Support from Family and friends
8. One’s perception
BENEFITS OF SELF RELIANCE
1. It builds self resilience.
2. It boosts confidence.
3. It helps to be more self aware.
4. It enables you to appreciate others.
5. It increases self productivity.
1. It improves standard of living.
2. It strengthens relationships.
3. It helps to discover individual skills and talents among the family’s members.
4. It makes family to reach full fulfillment.
5. Maximize full potential.
1. It leads to growth and development.
2. It boosts economy values.
3. It reduces crime rate.
4. It increases the production of goods and services.
UNDERSTANDING THAT THE WEALTH OF A NATION IS CONTAINED IN ITS NATURAL AND HUMAN RESOURCES
HOW TO NURTURE THE IDENTIFIED TALENTS
3. More self discovering
CONSEQUENCES OF UNDISCOVERED TALENTS AND UNDEVELOPED SKILLS
1. It reduces productivity.
2. It increases crime rate.
3. It leads to increase in scarcity.
4. It increases corruption.
5. It leads to envy and jealous.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Leads class discussion on meaning, attributes and benefits of self reliance.
Student’s Activities – Contribute to discussion what they think their talents are and why people should be self reliant.
3. Gives practical examples of agencies that help tap and develop talents.
4. Creates activities to help skills and talents.
Student’s Activities – Discuss possible areas of specialization and how to make wealth and develop the nation.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. define self reliance.
2. discuss three benefits of self reliance.
3. discuss two consequences of being independent on others or society.
4. identify the importance of self reliance.
5. enumerate five natural talents that people posses.