Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
TOPIC – COMMON SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify social problems in the Nigerian society.
2. discuss the causes of the social problems.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Newspapers and magazine articles.
2. Radio and TV and internet options.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CONTEMPORARY SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA
Social problems are the general factors that affect and damage societal values. Among these are –
1. National identity problem
4. Poor education and examination malpractice
5. Poverty of the population
7. Inequality among the people
10. Domestic violence and child morality
11. Level of education
14. Over crowd
15. Child marriage
16. Gender discrimination
CAUSES OF CONTEMPORARY SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA
3. Lack of parental care
5. Negative peer influence.
6. Influence of the mass media.
7. Unchecked access to the internet.
8. Divorce and broken homes.
10. Sexual immorality in the society.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Involves the students in a pre-lesson identification of contemporary social problems by noting the frequency of occurrence of the problems on print and electronic media.
Student’s Activities – Collate and report information on contemporary social problems.
3. Guides class to discuss social problems and their causes.
Student’s Activities – Participate in class discussion social problems and their causes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list common social problems in Nigeria giving example from their communities.
2. discuss the causes of common social problems in Nigeria.