Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – SOCIAL AND HEALTH ISSUES
TOPIC – WAYS OF SOLVING THE COMMON SOCIAL PROBLEMS IN NIGERIA
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the effects of social issues and problems in Nigeria.
2. evaluate the measures adopted to solve social problems.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Newspapers and magazine articles.
2. Radio and TV and internet.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
EFFECTS OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS
Social problems are unacceptable behaviour which threaten the peace and stability of any society. Its negative effect on the society go beyond what is seen as moral and just acceptable.
1. Increase in poverty levels
2. Reduction in standard of living
3. Increase in crime rates.
4. Threaten the peace and stability of the society.
5. Increase in the level of unemployment.
6. Decrease in growth and development.
7. Increase in migration.
WAYS OF SOLVING CONTEMPORARY SOCIAL PROBLEMS
1. Good government policies.
2. Participation in civil society
3. Personal discipline e.g. contentment, loyalty, fruitfulness, etc.
4. Justice and fairness need to be upheld.
5. Improve the standards of education.
6. Provision of basic societal need – good road, health care, etc.
8. Ethics, religion and political tolerance.
9. Enforce of child’s law and rights.
10. Good governance and responsible leaders.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Teacher leads a discussion on the effects of social problems.
Student’s Activities – Discuss effects of social problems.
3. Guides students on ways of solving the social issues/problems.
Student’s Activities – Mention ways of solving the common social problems in their communities.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain current social problems.
2. Proffer adequate measures for overcoming the problems.