Last Updated on April 20, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – COMPONENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Maintenance | Importance of Maintenance | Materials Needed for Maintenance | Weekly Assessment Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Technology
TOPIC – DRAWING INSTRUMENTS
1. Drawing Instruments
2. Identification and Uses of Drawing Instruments
3. Cares for Drawing Instruments
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of drawing.
2. identify drawing instruments
3. state the names and use(s) of each drawing instrument.
4. draw some objects using some of the drawing instruments
Drawing is a way of making marks to represent an object. You can’t have technology without making something first. And this requires accurate designs to be drawn. Design cannot be possible with all the necessary instruments.
The concept of drawing instruments will enable the pupils to appreciate the importance of drawing instruments in arts, science and technology.
The pupils can identify and state the uses of drawing instruments.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of drawing instruments – T – square, set square, drawing board, compasses, dividers, masking type, ruler and protractor etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Meaning and Uses of Drawing Instruments (Basic Preparation) – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 5)
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Basic Science and Technology Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Teacher’s Activities – Display real objects and its sketch for the pupils to identify, compare and state the difference.
Pupil’s Activities/Responses – This is a real object (shoes) while the other is a drawing of the real object.
Teacher’s Remark – Consider the appropriate response and comment. Guide the pupils to discuss the meaning of drawing and state the materials used for drawings. Write the meaning of drawing on board and its instruments.
MEANING OF DRAWING
Drawing is a way of making marks to represent an object.
Drawing is a way of representing an object on paper using pencil and other drawing instruments.
COMMON DRAWING INSTRUMENTS USED BY THE PUPILS
Common drawing instruments are –
5. Set square
6. T square
7. Drawing board
1. Define drawing.
2. State 5 instruments used for drawing.
Find out the meaning of drawing instruments.
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display some of the drawing instruments for the pupils to identify and state the uses of each. Also, to recognise all the instruments as drawing instruments.
Pupil’s Activities – Ruler is used for drawing a straight lines, etc.
Teacher’s Remark – Consider the appropriate responses and comments. Note the uses of each instruments on the board as stated by the pupils. Also, discuss the meaning of drawing instruments.
MEANING OF DRAWING INSTRUMENTS
Drawing instruments are the tools used for drawing.
USES OF DRAWING INSTRUMENTS
- It is used for drawing a circle.
- It is used for constructing angles.
- It is used for placing points on the drawing paper.
3. Set Squares
- It is used for drawing for vertical and horizontal lines turned in different.
- It is used for measuring distance(s) between two or more points.
- It is used for measuring angles.
6. T – square
- It is used for drawing horizontal and vertical lines.
Demonstrate how to place a drawing sheet on T square.
LESSON 3 – DRAWING
Ask the pupils to draw an object that will enable them to use most of the drawing instruments and state reasons for using the instruments.
As in the content of the lesson – drawing.
Find out the meaning and Importance of energy.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Ask pupils to define drawing and state the instruments used for dreaming.
Pupil’s Activities – Define drawing and state the instruments used for dreaming.
3. Demonstrates the use of each instrument.
4. Demonstrates how to place drawing sheet on the drawing board.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch and practice the use of the various instruments.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask the pupils to:
1. What is drawing?
2. What is drawing instruments?
3. State 5 drawing instruments.
4. What are the uses of drawing instruments stated in question 3?
5. Draw anyone of the following: circle, triangle, rectangle, car or house.
1. _____________ is a way of representing an object on paper using pencil and other drawing instruments.
B. Drawing Instruments
C. Drawing paper
2. _____________ instruments are the tools used for drawing.
B. Drawing Instruments
C. Drawing paper
3. _____________ is used for drawing a circle.
4. _____________ is used for placing points on the drawing paper.
5. _____________ is used for constructing angles.
7. _____________ is used for measuring distance(s) between two or more points.
8. _____________ is used for measuring angles.
9. _____________ is used for drawing horizontal and vertical lines.
A. Tea square
B. Tee square
C. Ts square
10. State 5 drawing instruments.