Last Updated on November 7, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – HEATHY LIVING – REST AND SLEEP
1. Meaning of Sleep and Rest
2. Period of Resting and Sleeping
3. Importance of Rest and Sleep
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. describe the meaning of rest and sleep.
2. explain when to rest and sleep.
3. discuss the importance of rest and sleep.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts of sleeping mats, beds, mattress.
2. Pictures or charts showing people resting and sleeping.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to discuss the activities on the chart.
MEANING OF REST AND SLEEP
Sleep is a natural resting when the eyes are closed, the body and the mind are not active.
Rest is the moment when people stops working or moving. That’s, a moment of doing nothing in particular.
For example, be on your own, listen to music or watching TV, reading a book, etc.
REST AND SLEEP PERIODS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to state the main periods that people sleep and rest.
1. Mostly in the night and other period as stated below –
2. Break time
3. When people are weak or sick
4. During holidays
5. Festive period – Christmas, Easter and Sallah
6. National break – children’s day, independence day, etc.
7. Pandemic period
8. Weekend – Saturday and Sunday
9. Leave period
THE IMPORTANCE OF REST AND SLEEP
1. It promotes growth and development.
2. It boosts learning.
3. It reduces injury risk.
4. It improves attention and behaviour.
5. It prepares the body for another day.
6. It improves productivity.
7. It improves and increases the quality of life.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the meaning of rest and sleep.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the importance of rest and sleep.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Role – play the postures resting and sleeping.
4. Comment on the role-play.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s comments.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of rest and sleep.
2. mention two reasons for the importance of rest and sleep.