Last Updated on May 8, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – PERSONAL HEALTH RULES
1. Meaning of Personal Health Rules
2. Importance of Good Rest and Sleep
3. Importance of Good Posture
4. Effects of Rough Play
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the rules for healthy living.
2. practice good health habits.
3. state roles of good health in development and growth.
4. explain the need for daily sleep and rest.
Care of the Body
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Chart of rules for healthy living.
2. First aid box.
3. Chart on correct posture e.g. sitting, bending, walking, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks the pupils to state the reasons why we must take care of our body.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupil’s discussions and relates to personal health. For example, taking care of our body means taking care of our personal health.
PERSONAL HEALTH RULES
Personal health rules are rules set to ensure personal hygiene or cleanliness. For example, taking your bath regularly, brushing your teeth twice a day, washing your hand after toilet, etc.
RULES FOR HEALTHY LIVING
1. Wash and clean various parts of the body
2. Wear clean clothes.
3. Maintain good health habits at home and at school.
4. Always clean your surroundings.
5. Drink only clean water.
6. Work hard and play well.
7. Regular exercise, etc.
GOOD HEALTH HABITS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Practical Demonstration Personal Health Rules.
1. It promotes growth and development.
2. It boosts learning.
3. It reduces injury risk.
4. It improves attention and behaviour.
5. It prepares the body for another day.
6. It improves productivity.
7. It improves and increases the quality of life.
REASONS FOR GOOD POSTURE
1. It reduces stress in the body.
2. It helps blood circulation.
3. It increases energy levels.
4. It enhances lung capacity.
5. It aids digestion.
6. It boosts self confidence.
EFFECTS OF ROUGH PLAY
Rough play is different from normal play. It is hard, not all children have the strength.
Rough play includes – wrestle, climbing and playing on the tree or fence, climb over each other, pretend to fight, roll around, etc.
It has both positive and negative effects. Rough play also helps children gain self-control and become more emotionally confident. And also, leads to –
1. Real fight
2. Injuries (temporary or permanent)
5. Internal bleeding
6. Death, if not controlled or managed.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses health rules with pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss health rules with the teacher.
3. Relates rule to child’s home and school.
4. Discusses the advantages of good rest and sleep.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice sleeping and resting at appropriate times.
5. Integrate good health issues raised in class situation.
6. Discusses effects of rough play.
Pupil’s Activities – Contribute to discussion on what can happen during rough plays.
7. Discusses the importance of maintaining good posture.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask the pupils to:
1. mention 5 rules.
2. name 3 types of accidents that can occur during play.
3. give 3 reasons why it is good to sleep or rest.
4. give 3 reasons why should maintain good posture.