RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY AS A BASIC UNIT OF FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Structure of a Nuclear Family (Primary 1)
TOPIC – NUCLEAR FAMILY
1. Introductory Activities
2. Structure of an Extended Family
3. Meaning of Extended Family
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of family.
2. draw a chart of an extended family.
3. identify each member of an extended family.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
chart showing father, mother and their children and other members of the family.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupils Activities – Displays a chart showing father, mother and their child(ren) and other members of the family for the pupils to identify and describe their relationship.
Teacher’s remark – uncle(s), aunt(s), niece(s), nephew(s), grandparents, father/mother in laws, brother(s)/sister(s) in law, etc. are other members of the family and they are called EXTENDED FAMILY. What is extended family?
MEANING OF EXTENDED FAMILY
Extended family is made of people who are related to one another by blood.
STRUCTURE OF AN EXTENDED FAMILY
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides the pupils to state and describe the relationship among other members of the family.
- Uncle – The brother of one’s mother or father.
- Aunt – The sister of one’s mother or father.
- Nephew – The son of one’s brother or sister.
- Nieces – The son of one’s brother or sister.
- Grandparents – The father of one’s father/The mother of one’s father/The father of one’s mother/The mother of one’s mother.
- Father in law – Father of one’s husband or wife.
- Mother in law – Mother of one’s husband or wife.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to find out the meaning of the word family.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and respond to questions in class.
2. Leads pupils to identify types of family.
Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s lead, identify types of family and explain what is extended family.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt the following questions.
1. explain the meaning of the word, ‘ Extended Family’.
2. Draw the structure of extended family.
3. describe the the following –