TOPIC: Unity in Cultural Diversity
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- explain the word: culture, diversity and unity;
- explain in simple terms what unity in cultural diversity means;
- give examples of different ways of promoting unity in cultural diversity in our community.
The pupils are required to already have learned to culture as people’s way of life.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of relevant pictures and charts.
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information [click]
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Culture as a people’s way of life.
Unity refers to oneness.
Diversity refers to differences.
UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Unity in Cultural Diversity refers to oneness in spite of differences. [click]
WAYS OF PROMOTING UNITY IN CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN OUR COMMUNITY
- Making friends with mates who are not from our ethnic group.
- Eating foods from other people’s culture.
- Wearing dresses from other cultures.
- Learning to speak languages of other ethnic groups been truthful in you interaction with people etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the concepts; Unity, Culture and diversity using relevant pictures and charts.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the guided discussion on the meaning of the three concepts and the relationship among them.
- Organizes pupils to dramatize the concepts;
- Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize in small groups.
- Guides them to bring out different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community. [click]
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the reflective thinking exercise and come up with different ways by which unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- give simply meaning of the words Culture, diversity and unity;
- explain unity in Cultural diversity;
- list any three ways by which Unity in Cultural diversity can be promoted in their community.