Last Updated on August 26, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – SKETCHING COMPUTER NETWORK
TOPIC: Advantages and Disadvantages of Computer Network
1. Advantages of Computer Network
2. Disadvantages of Computer Network
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. state advantages of computer network;
2. list uses of computer network.
Connecting two or computer systems together.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Dataklink Computer Studies Book 6
Tanus Computer Studies
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Computer network is the sharing of data (information) between a set of connected computers.
Computer networking has become one of the most successful ways of sharing information, where all computers are wirelessly linked together by a common network.
ADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
Main benefits of networks include:
1. It enhances communication and availability of information.
2. It allows for more convenient resource sharing.
For example, printers, scanners and copiers, or sharing software between multiple users, saves money.
3. It makes file sharing easier between different users.
4. It is highly flexible.
5. Sharing a single internet connection is cost-efficient and can help protect your systems if you properly secure the network. It is an inexpensive system.
6. It boosts and increase storage capacity such as images and music.
7. It increases cost efficiency.
DISADVANTAGES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
1. It lacks privacy.
2. It poses security difficulties.
3. It lacks robustness.
4. It allows for more presence of computer viruses and malware.
5. Its light policing usage promotes negative acts.
6. It requires an expensive set-up.
USES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
The computer networks are useful to the organizations in the following ways:
1. Resource sharing.
2. For providing high reliability.
3. To save money.
4. It can provide a powerful communication medium.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to list advantages and disadvantages of networking.
3. Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain advantages and disadvantages of computer networks.
4. Summarizes the lesson the board.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
state 4 advantages of computer network networking.
state 4 disadvantages of computer network networking.
State two uses of computer network.