Last Updated on August 17, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – PHONICS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Identification of Upper and Lower Cases Letters of the Alphabet (Primary 1)
TOPIC – BLENDING SOUNDS OF LETTERS TO FORM WORDS
1. V – an
2. C – an
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
build words by blending the sounds of letters of the alphabets.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pocket Chart
2. Picture Cards
3. Letter Cards
4. Word Charts.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
BLENDING SOUNDS OF LETTERS TO FORM WORDS
Words with an
1. /v/ – an Van
2. /c/ – an Cat
3. /r/ – an Ran
4. /m/ – an Man
5. /p/ – an Pan
Words with at
6. /c/ – at Cat
7. /h/ – at Hat
8. /b/ – at Bat
9. /f/ – at Fat
Other includes – sat, pat, mat, eat, etc.
Words with am
10. /m/ – am Man
11. /r/ – am Ram
12. /j/ – am Jam
Other includes dam, etc.
Words with it
13. /p/ – it Pit
14. /h/ – it Hit
15. /s/ – it Sat
Words with up
16. /c/ – up Cup
Words with is
17. /h/ – is His
Words with in
18. /s/ – in Sin
19. /p/ – in Pin
20. /t/ – in Tin
Words with on
21. /s/ – on Son
Words with ox
22. /b/ – ox Box
23. /f/ – ox Fox
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Prepare Pocket Charts.
3. Makes sounds of letters of the alphabet for pupils to imitate.
Pupil’s Activities – Imitate sounds of letters.
4. Guides pupils to blend the sounds of letters to form words e.g. /v/ – an (to form Van) or /c/ – an (to form Can) or /c/ – at (to form Cat) etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class drills and exercises.
5. Guides and directs drill exercises on blending sounds of letters to make new words.
Pupil’s Activities – Build new words by blending sounds of the alphabets.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. pronounce the sounds of the alphabets correctly.
2. blend the sounds to build three letter word and
3. build sounds of the alphabets to build at least five new, but simple, words.