Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: PERSONAL HYGIENE AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Population and Housing and Reasons Why Everybody does not own a House (Primary 5)
TOPIC – PERSONAL HYGIENE AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
1. Meaning of Physical Hygiene
2. Meaning of Physical Development
3. Characteristics of Children of Ten Years and Above
4. Characteristics of Physical Development of Children at Pre – Adolescent Stage
5. Factors that can Hinder Growth in Children
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to –
1. Describe physical development of children from ten years and above;
2. Identify the characteristics of boys and girls from age 10 and above.
3. Identify the physical development between boys and girls.
4. Mention some of the factors that hinder physical growth in children.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures showing the features of girl and boy at this stage.
2. Charts on the factors that hinder growth in children at this stage.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Basic Social Studies for Primary Schools 5 – E. E. Ezewu, J. A. Olawepo, C. C. Anadi, J. A. Adeyanju. MacMillan Basic Science and Technology for basic 6. Social Studies for Primary Schools 5.
All Relevant Material
Online Information – Personal Hygiene – Lives Strong, Physical Development – Lives Strong
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Social Studies Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Personal hygiene is total cleanliness of the body on a daily and regular basis.
Physical development is the growth and development of a child in human infancy and continues into late adolescent and puberty.
MEANING OF PERSONAL HYGIENE
Personal hygiene is (deals with) the total cleanliness of a child.
Personal hygiene includes:
2. Washing your hands,
3. Keeping your hair clean, and
4. Brushing your teeth.
MEANING OF PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT
Human beings are born as babies. They grow from childhood to adulthood. This growth is gradual as many change occur in the body.
Physical development deals with the growth of a child. Physical development includes developing control over the body, mainly muscles and physical coordination.
CHARACTERISTICS OF CHILDREN OF TEN YEARS AND ABOVE
At about ten years old, a child starts developing a new way of life, and he starts behaving more like an adult. The child’s body grows in special ways:
Girls grow faster than boys, but girls stop growing earlier than boys.
Between ten and fifteen years, girls have more weight than boys; but from the age of fifteen years, boys begin to gain more weight than girls.
3. Physical maturity
At the age of eighteen years, most girls are fully mature, but most boys are not.
LESSON TWO – CHARACTERISTICS OF PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDREN AT PRE-ADOLESCENT STAGE:
1. Girls initially grow taller than boys.
2. Growth of hairs in boys and girls pubic areas.
3. Changes in the voice of boys.
4. The hips of girls get broader.
5. The shoulder boys get broader.
6. The breasts of girls develop.
7. Girls menstruation begin.
8. Boys semen production starts.
FACTORS THAT CAN HINDER GROWTH IN CHILDREN:
1. Infections transferred from mother to child (HIV).
2. Poor feeding
3. Poor body cleanliness
4. Too much labour
7. Early child bearing
8. Dirty environment
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads class discussion on physical development of children from pre-adolescent stage;
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussion and identify characteristics and discuss each fully.
3. Discusses factors that hinder growth in children;
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss factors that hinder gowth in children.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. list some of the features of the physical development of children at pre – adolescent stage.
2. state 5 characteristics of boys and girls between age 10 and above.
3. discuss the physical development between boys and girls.
4. state some factors that hinder growth in children.