TOPIC: Components of Agriculture
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor): list and explains components of agriculture. [click]
- The pupils are required to already have learned in basic 6, meaning of agriculture.
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictorial display of:
- People planting crop
- Rearing animals
- Processing agricultural products
- Selling agricultural products
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials [click]
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
COMPONENTS OF AGRICULTURE
- Agriculture is made of the following component parts:
- Growing of crops
- Rearing of animals
- Processing, and Selling of agricultural products [click]
GROWING OF CROPS
This involves the growing different crops. These crops are divided into food and cash crops. Food crops are yam, cassava, tomatoes, cocoyams, etc. They are mainly for consumption. Cash crops are cocoa, cotton, palm oil, groundnut, etc. They are crops grow for commercial purposes.
REARING OF ANIMALS
This involves rearing of both domestic and wildlife animals. Domestic animals are such as goat, sheep, cattle, poultry, etc. Wildlife animals are animals in the wild. They are lion, tiger, lion, elephant, etc. They are rear to preserve animals in the wild from extinction.
This involves breeding and catching of fishes from the lakes, rivers and oceans for consumption and commercial purposes. [click]
This involves preservation and maintenance of economic trees and plants. These trees are used for furniture, building of houses and boats, manufacture of paper, electric poles, etc. The forest also includes wildlife, food as grazing group, roots and herbs, etc
PROCESSING AND SELLING OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS
These involve production, branding and marketing of agricultural products. Agricultural products are made available to the final consumers in more attractive brands. Coco into beverages, timber into furniture and fittings, etc.[click]
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the components of Agriculture;
- Guides the pupils to mention activities that can build up the illustrate in a broad sense;
- Pupil’s Activities – Pupils take active part in discussing the components of agriculture.
- Give a board summary;
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary. [click]
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to: list and explain the components of agriculture.
AGRICULTURE FIRST TERM THIRD WEEK BASIC 6