By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
1. play table tennis;
2. apply the rules and regulations in a game situation;
3. mention the officials in the table tennis and their duties;
4. officiate a match.
Table tennis game
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Table tennis board
Table tennis balls
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Compendium Physical and Health Education for basic 6
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Setup a table tennis board, organize the pupils for table tennis, supervise and call their attention to the rules and regulations of the game. Then, ask the pupils to describe table tennis game.
DESCRIPTION OF TABLE TENNIS
Table tennis is one of the major sports in the world. It is played at all levels of competition.
Both young and old people play the game but at world championships, it is a young person’s game.
NATURE OF PLAYING TABLE TENNIS
Table tennis is considered as a bat/racket game and it is played at a professional or amateur.
The simplicity of the game and easy improvisation of facilities and equipment make the game very attractive for pastime.
The game is played by a minimum two people in form of singles and maximum of four people in form of doubles or mixed doubles.
The game takes place on a hard table divided by a net.
OFFICIALS AND THEIR DUTIES
1. The referee – The referee “is the official who is responsible for assuring that the competition is fair and played under the ITF Rules of Tennis.
2. Umpire – Umpires control individual matches.
3. Recorder – All information related to tournament as provided in the score card, such as date, names of players, venue of match, order of matches, scores and winner. The score card is taking to the referee for verification and signature.
LESSON TWO – OFFICIATING RULES
1. A toss is used to decide the first service or choice or choice of ends.
2. Each player serves the ball five times consecutively in turns during a game except there is a deuce 20-20.
3. After every point, there is a change of service.
4. The server’s point is usually mentioned or called first in the game.
5. It is an offence for a player to touch, push table or the net.
6. A served ball must bounce in the server’s table before the opponent’s table.
7. It is an offence to spin the ball upwards before hitting it during the service the service by the server.
8. When a served all touches the net and still falls in the opponent’s table, it is called a let.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT USED IN TABLE TENNIS
The facilities and equipment include –
1. Table tennis board
6. Canvas shoes
DIMENSIONS OF TABLE TENNIS BOARD
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the rules and regulations;
3. Describes the roles of the officials;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to teacher’s explanations.
Pupil’s activities – Observe the rules and regulations in a game situation; Play table tennis.
4. Supervises the pupils.
5. Summarizes the major points on the board;
Pupil’s Activities – Note taking.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – Volleyball
Welcome! We believe teachers inspire our future. CRN (ClassRoomNotes) is a website FOR TEACHERS BY TEACHERS, and we aim to continuously inform and encourage teaching! All materials are subject to TERMLY review. Eko Quizzes Now available at ekoquiz.com.