READING AND WRITING
TOPIC: INTRODUCTORY AND CONCLUDING PARAGRAPH
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. recognize how introductory paragraphs are written.
2. list the functions of introductory paragraph e.g. – it gives either good or bad impression of the whole write-up, tells the reader what to expect in the essay, etc;
write good introductory paragraphs and body of essay.
3. write effective concluding paragraph to a given essay.
The pupils can a simple composition.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Sample composition, Course book, A Sample of a concluding paragraph.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
MacMillan Brilliant Primary English English Book 6
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
FOCUS ACTIVITIES – WRITING PARAGRAPHS
A paragraph is a short part of a text with at least one sentence that begins with a new line.
The main parts of any composition, essay or reading passage are –
1. Introductory Paragraph
2. Middle Paragraphs
3. Concluding Paragraph
Introductory paragraphs is used to indicate the direction of the composition will go.
The body of your writing is known as middle paragraph. It is in between the introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
Writing a good and effective concluding paragraph to a given essay in order to tie up the ideas.
Using the summary of points made in the essay as a conclusion.
For more information, open MacMillan Brilliant Primary English Book 6
Topic – Role of Religion
Composition – my school and my father
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to discuss how best to introduce an essay.
Pupil’s Activities – Write the first paragraph of an essay topic provided by the teacher.
3. Leads them to write good introductory paragraph on the topic: “My school”.
Pupil’s Activities – Work as a class to write a composition on “My School” under the teacher’s guidance.
4. Leads pupils to produce suitable paragraphs.
Pupil’s Activities – Organize the sentences logically, emphasizing the opening paragraph.
- Discuss what should be the content of such composition.
5. Guides pupils to write good essay with an effective concluding paragraph.
Pupil’s Activities – Write an essay with good introductory paragraph, middle and concluding paragraph.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. write good introductory paragraph on a given topic.
2. give good points to constitute middle of the essay; and
3. write a good concluding paragraph in order to drive the message home.