BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – THINGS AROUND US
PREVIOUS LESSON – SAFETY ACROSS THE ROAD
TOPIC – SOIL AS PART OF OUR SURROUNDING
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- recognize soil as part of our environment.
- say the meaning of soil.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of soil
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Take the pupils out of the class to a playground. Gather some soil and ask the pupils, what is this?
Expected response – sand.
Take them back to the classroom.
Tell them it is call soil.
MEANING OF SOIL
Soil is the top layer of the earth’s surface.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides pupils to identify soil as component of the surrounding.
- Pupil’s Activities – Touch and feel soilin the playground.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to observe and state the meaning of soil.