Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: NATURAL RESOURCES
PREVIOUS LESSON – NIGERIAN AND FOREIGN MADE GOODS
TOPIC: RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- explain the meaning of natural resources;
- name the various types of natural resources;
- explain how natural resources can be developed;
- explain the contributions of individuals, organisations, communities and governments to the development of our natural resources;
- explain the uses of some natural resources.
Goods and services
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts of minerals resources in Nigeria.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Basic Social Studies Primary School Book 6
- MacMillan Brilliant Primary Social Studies Book 6
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Resources development is the process of maximise the available natural resources and create conditions for a better use of those resources.
Natural resources are the wealth which are found in our country. They are called natural resources.
TYPES OF NATURAL RESOURCES
- Minerals resources – precious stones, tin, iron ore, gas, columbite, lead, zinc, marble, coal, crude oil, etc.
- Forest resources – timber, etc.
- Agricultural resources – cocoa, groundnuts, cassava, etc.
HOW NATURAL RESOURCES CAN BE DEVELOPED
- Production of raw materials
- Refining of raw materials
- Distribution and sale of raw materials
CONTRIBUTIONS OF INDIVIDUALS, ORGANISATIONS, COMMUNITIES AND GOVERNMENTS TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF OUR NATURAL RESOURCES
- Provision of technology by individuals, organisations and governments.
- Skills should be provided by individuals in form of labour.
- Peaceful environment should be provided by the communities.
- Salaries should be provided by organizations and governments for the workers.
- Machinery for efficient work should be in place.
- Land should be provided by communities, individuals and governments for the development of natural resources.
- Protection of lives and property by the government.
- Education should be given to the people by the government on the resources.
- Legislation on the effective development of resources should be by the government.
USES OF SOME NATURAL RESOURCES
- Improving the welfare of the citizens
- Developing the nation
- Providing needed goods and services
- Providing employment
- Foreign exchange
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the meaning of natural resources;
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of natural resources.
- Names the various types of natural resources;
- Pupil’s Activities – Make list of various types of natural resources.
- Explains how natural resources can be developed;
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain how natural resources can be developed.
- Explains the contributions of individuals, organisations, communities and governments to the development of our natural resources;
- Pupil’s Activities – List the contributions of individuals, organisations, communities and governments to the development of our natural resources.
- Explains the uses of some natural resources;
- Pupil’s Activities – List the uses of some natural resources.
- Note taking.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – revision.
- Next Lesson – Revision, Test and Examination
Attempt all the questions
1. ___________________________ are the wealth which are found in our country. They are called natural resources.
A. Physical resources
B. Artificial resources
C. Natural resources
2. The following are natural resources except ___________________________.
A. Mineral resources
B. Agricultural resources
C. Artificial resources
3. One of the following is a natural resource.
A. Artificial resource
B. Physical resource
C. Natural resource
4. The following is a give example of mineral resources except
A. Palm oil
B. Crude oil
C. Engine oil
5. The following is a product example of agricultural resources except
A. Palm oil
B. Crude oil
C. Engine oil
6. One of these is a forest resource.
A. Orange tree
B. Iroko tree
C. Cassava tree
State 2 mineral resources.
State 2 agricultural resources. 2 marks
State 2 forest resources. 2 marks
State 3 ways that natural can be developed. 3 marks
Mention 4 uses of natural resources. 5 marks
20. What is resources development?