Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – PREMARITAL SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP
TOPIC – SOME FOREIGN CULTURES THAT ARE AFFECTING OUR VALUES AND CULTURE
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- Mention some foreign cultures that are affecting our values and cultures;
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of foreign culture on our culture;
- State some of the ways though which we can promote our culture.
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Relevant foreign items and pictures
- Cultural materials
- Pictures and charts
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Nowadays, foreign influences have really affected our values and cultures. For instance, the way we talk or greet. In the olden days, them male child prostrate while the female child kneel down to greet the parents, but today such does not exist.
SOME FOREIGN CULTURES THAT ARE AFFECTING OUR VALUES AND CULTURE
- Family system
- Religious practice
- Science and Technology
ADVANTAGES OF FOREIGN CULTURE ON OUR CULTURE
- Better ways of doing things
- Good health systems
- Use of English language
- Marriage culture
- Organized security and judicial systems.
DISADVANTAGES OF FOREIGN CULTURE ON OUR CULTURE
- Destruction of traditional value
- Violence, etc.
HOW TO PROMOTE OUR CULTURE
- Cultural festivals
- School programmes
- Mass media
- Preserving our artifacts
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the concept of foreign cultures;
- Asks pupils to mention some foreign cultures found in the school and community;
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention some of the foreign cultures in the school and community.
Explains the advantages and disadvantages of foreign culture on our culture;
- Asks pupils to give examples of advantages and disadvantages of foreign culture;
- Pupil’s Activities – Give examples of the advantages and disadvantages of foreign culture.
- Show some cultural materials and explain the ways in which we can promote our culture;
- Pupil’s Activities – Examine the cultural materials and make their comments.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Attempt all the questions
Mention 5 major foreign cultures that are affecting our value systems.
State 3 advantages of foreign culture on our culture.
State 3 disadvantages of foreign culture on our culture.
State 3 ways in which we can promote our culture.