TOPIC: Word Study and Dictionary Practice
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to find words in a dictionary or long list.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Flash cards
- Course book
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
USING A DICTIONARY
- Using the Knowledge of the Alphabet Letters of the alphabet (a – z).
- Locating words and their meanings in a dictionary.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the idea of arranging words in alphabetical order and the principles involved;
- Pupil’s Activities – Share ideas on how to find words in the dictionary or a long list.
- Guides pupils to find given words in a dictionary or a long list;
- Pupil’s Activities – Use knowledge of alphabetical order to find given words in dictionary in pairs or groups.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to: find given words in a dictionary, using knowledge of alphabetical order.