Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – VALUES THAT PROMOTE PEACE – COOPERATION
TOPIC: VALUES THAT PROMOTE PEACE – National Unity
Unity is the act of working as a single force composed of different people, organization, bodies, states, or nations.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to explain what national unity means.
- The pupils are required to already have learned in their previous lessons – values that promote peace:
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of report on settlement of conflicts.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
One Nigeria means being as one people and making sure everyone shares the true identity of one nation.
National unity is being able to accept other ethnic groups as one people, irrespective of religion, status, culture and geographical location.
Things that Constitute National Unity:
- Emphasizing things that unites us,
- Respecting the national objectives, coat of arms,
- Strengthening national bonds.
IMPORTANCE OF NATIONAL UNITY
- It brings about the national development.
- It helps the government of the nation to understand the people’s need and choices.
- It strengthens a nation.
- It brings about safety in a nation.
- National unity and integration encourages People to share ideas, values and emotional bonds.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;[mediator_tech]
- Explains what constitute national unity;
- Pupil’s Activities – Recite National pledge and sing the National anthem.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Nationalism
- discuss what National unity means.