PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Middle Distance Race | Types of Middle Distance Race | Basic Skills Involved in Middle Distance Race Primary 4 (Basic 4) Term 2 Week 2 Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – LONG DISTANCE RACES
2. Meaning and Types of Long Distance Race
3. Basic Skills of Long Distance Race
4. Benefits of Running
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. list the skills involved in long distance races;
2. perform skills.
3. state the benefits of running.
The pupils can differentiate between short and middle distance races.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Video clips, Posters, Whistles/Starting gun, Flying board, Athletic track, Stop watch, Bell.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF LONG DISTANCE RACE
A long distance race is any running event on the track that is longer than 3000m.
This includes such events as the 3000m run, the 3200m run, the two mile run, the three mile run, and so on.
TYPES (EXAMPLES) OF LONG DISTANCE RACES
There are types of long distance races –
1. 3000 metres
2. 5000 metres
3. 5 miles
1. The start
2. The running action
3. The pace and stride length
4. The breathing
5. The running tactic
6. The finish
LESSON 2 – BASIC SKILLS IN LONG DISTANCE RACE
It is important to start well in longer races, ensuring that you get away from the start properly and settle in the correct position for you in the race.
This is the actual running of the race.
PEACE AND STRIDE LENGTH
The speed isn’t too important, but rather the feeling of running well in a controlled manner, with good form, and with the correct stride length.
Learning how to breathe properly while running can help you run faster and longer with less effort, and prevent you from getting painful side aches and stitches during your workout.
This is the marking – out of the race thereby signifying the end of the race.
LESSON 3 – THE BENEFITS OF RUNNING
1. Aids weight loss.
2. Increases bone density.
3. Boosts confidence.
4. Improves mental health.
5. Builds endurance.
6. To continue visit – The Benefits of Running
PRACTICE AND DEMONSTRATE BASIC SKILLS IN LONG DISTANCE RACE
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Take pupils out to the field, organize them according to their age group for short, middle and long distance races.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in races.
3. Ask pupils to state the difference among the races.
Pupil’s Activities – Different between short, middle and long distance races.
4. Explains and demonstrates the skills involved in long distance races;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher and practice as demonstrated by the teacher.
3. Supervise the pupils and make corrections.
4. Leads a discuss on the benefits of running.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate and state the benefits of running.
5. Summarizes the lessons on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Meaning of Waste Disposal | Types of Waste Disposal | Importance of Waste Disposal Primary 4/Basic 4 Term 2 Week 4 Physical and Health Education (PHE)
Ask pupils to:
1. Explain the meaning of long distance races.
2. List 6 skills involved in long distance races.
3. State 5 benefits of running.