Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: MARTIAL ARTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Nutrition – Characteristics of Deficiency Diseases and Family Size and Its Effect on Nutrition (Primary 5)
TOPIC – HISTORY AND IMPORTANCE OF JUDO
1. Introduction to Judo
2. History of Judo
3. Importance of Judo Martial Arts
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. State briefly history and development of Judo in Nigeria;
2. State the importance of Judo.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Fitness and Fun, A Physical and Health Education Course for Primary School 6
All Relevant Material
Online Information – Judo in Nigeria
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Physical and Health Education Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
Scheme of Work First Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
Scheme of Work Second Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
Scheme of Work Third Term Physical and Health Education Basic 5
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Judo is a Universal Olympic sports and a method of physical, intellectual and moral education. It was founded in Nigeria when the interest of the game started increasing in the country to foster appropriate support for all the youths of the country that have declared interest for the game.
HISTORY OF JUDO
Judo was originally created by Jigoro Kano in Shitaya in Japan in 1878. It became an Olympic event in 1964. IOC considered Judo as the most complete sport, improving the quality of life of those who practice it.
Judo was embraced by Nigerians in 1972. Mr Alexander Ifidon was appointed in 1973 to oversee the development of Judo in Nigeria.
The Nigerian Amateur Judo Association was formed in 1973. It was later changed to Nigeria Judo Federation in 1993. Judo was first introduced to the Nigerian armed forces and later introduced to clubs, colleges and universities.
IMPORTANCE OF JUDO
1. It helps in building self defence skills.
2. It helps in mental and physical development.
3. It builds stamina and body structure.
4. It gives (promotes) courage and self confidence.
5. It helps in the training of armed forces and security personnel.
6. It assists in body flexibility and mobility.
7. It promotes discipline.
8. It promotes general fitness of the body.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Narrates the history of Judo;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
3. Explains the importance of Judo;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and explain the importance of Judo.
4. Writes summary of discussion on the board;
Pupil’s Activities – Write note.
5. Questions and answers;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen, ask and answer questions.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Narrates the history of Judo;
2. Mention any 3 importance of Judo.