Last Updated on September 19, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY AS A BASIC UNIT OF FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Types of Family (Primary 1)
TOPIC – NUCLEAR FAMILY
1. Introductory Activities
2. Structure of a Nuclear Family
3. Meaning of Nuclear Family
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the meaning of family.
2. draw a chart of a nuclear family.
3. identify each member of a nuclear family.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
chart showing father, mother and their children.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupils Activities – Displays a chart showing father, mother and their child(ren). Then, asks the pupils, what is family? How many types of family do we have? Mention them.
Pupil’s response – Family is made up father, mother and their children. Their are 2 types of family. Nuclear and extended family.
Teacher’s remark – Correct. today’s lesson, we are going to learn structure and meaning of nuclear family.
STRUCTURE OF A NUCLEAR FAMILY
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides the pupils to state the members of their family.
- My bother(s) and sister(s)
Teacher’s remark – The above members of your family are called NUCLEAR FAMILY. What is Nuclear Family?
MEANING OF NUCLEAR FAMILY
Nuclear Family is made up father, mother and their children.
It is the smallest types of family.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to find out the meaning of the word family.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen and respond to questions in class.
2. Leads pupils to identify types of family.
Pupil’s Activities – Follow the teacher’s lead, identify types of family and explain what is nuclear family.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to attempt the following questions.
1. explain the meaning of the word, ‘ Nuclear Family’.
2. Draw the structure of nuclear family.
3. Find out 10 other members of your family.