THEME – PROCESSES OF AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – ORNAMENTAL CROPS
1. Meaning (Example) of Ornamental Crops
2. Examples of Ornamental Crops
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. give the meaning of ornamental crops.
2. give examples of ornamental crops.
3. state the uses of ornamental crops.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures of ornamental crops.
2. Live samples of local flowers.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Identification of Ornamental Crops
MEANING OF ORNAMENTAL CROPS
Ornamental Crops are crops that are grown for the purpose of beautification and decorations.
EXAMPLES OF LOCAL ORNAMENTAL CROPS
1. Lawn grass
2. Lantana flower
3. Hibiscus flower
4. Ice plant
5. Sun flower
6. Flame of the forest (flamboyant).
TEACHER’S/ACTIVITIES – Differentiate between food crops and ornamental crop.
USES OF ORNAMENTAL CROPS
1. They are used for beautification.
2. They are used for decoration.
3. They protection the soil.
4. They prevent the soil from erosion.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Takes pupils round the school compound to identify ornamental crops.
3. Shows pictures of ornamental crops.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe and identify ornamental crops, collecting ornamental crops they are familiar with.
4. Discusses uses of ornamental crops.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class discussion.
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Bring some beautiful flowers to the school.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain what ornamental crops is.
2. Differentiate between food and ornamental crops.
3. List five ornamental crops and their uses.