CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: ARTS AND CRAFTS
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – TYPES OF CRAFTS
2. Meaning/Definition of Crafts
3. Types of Crafts
4. Examples of Crafts
4. Uses of Crafts
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. state the meaning of crafts.
2. list types of crafts.
3. give examples of the types of Crafts.
4. state the uses of crafts
The students are very creative and can identify and describe craft items.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Tie and Dye Fabric
2. Flower vases
3. Moulded lizard
4. Clay products, carved wood, calabash, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CRAFTS
A craft can be defined as an activity involving skill in making things such as weaving, carving, or pottery by hands.
TYPES OF CRAFTS
1. Fiber and textile crafts like woven cloth, tie and dye, rub making, etc.
2. Paper mache like paper folding, molding, etc.
3. Carving craft like sculpture
4. Woven craft like iron window, iron gate, etc.
5. Ceramics and glass crafts like pottery, mosaics, etc.
7. Flower crafts like bouquet, floral Design, etc.
8. Wood and furniture crafts like wood carving, carpenter, etc.
9. Stone crafts like stone carving
10. Moulded craft like flower vases
USES OF CRAFTS
1. It is used for beautification.
2. It is used for express culture.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Displays different craft items.
3. Explains the meaning of crafts.
Student’s Activities – Listen and observe the display of different craft items.
4. Explains the uses of crafts.
Student’s Activities – State the uses of crafts.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. explain the meaning of craft.
2. mention 2 types of crafts giving two examples of each.