BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – CLASSIFICATION OF FOOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – THE FEEDING SYSTEM – TEETH, TONGUE AND LIPS
TOPIC – CLASSIFICATION OF FOODS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning and Classification of Foods
3. Importance of Foods or Reasons for Eaten Foods
4. Weekly Assessment
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define food.
2. name the different types of food.
3. identify food materials in their homes.
4. classify foods as carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and oil.
Food and it importance
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
food chart showing various food items – yam, potatoes, pepper, vegetables, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Copy as I write or draw as I need. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Ask the pupils, what are your favourite food.
Pupil’s response – rice and beans, indomine and eggs, plantain and beans or eggs, etc.
Teacher’s remark – Foods are very important substance required by the body to growth and function well. A great cheer for quick response to question. Discuss the meaning of food and reasons/importance of eating food.
On board, copy as I write.
MEANING OF FOOD
Foods are nourishing substance that we eat and drink, or taken into the body for healthy living.
THE REASONS OF EATING FOOD/IMPORTANCE OF EATING FOOD
Foods are very important substance required by the body to growth and function well. For the body to function well, we eat food for the following reasons –
3. Preventing disease from the body
4. Fighting disease in the body
5. Cleaning the body system
6. Social enjoyment
LESSON 2 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Ask the pupils, what are importance of food?
Pupil’s response – For growth, energy, etc.
Pupil’s remark – Correct. Foods are very important for growth and for the body function well. There are different classes of food that makes the body to function well. A great cheer for quick response. Discuss the classification of foods and summary the points of discussion on the board.
On board, copy as I write.
CLASSIFICATION OF FOOD
There are six classification of food required by the body to growth and function well –
Carbohydrates are energy given food and found in food like rice, noodles, bread and other products that have grains.
2. Fats and oils
Fats and oils are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth. They are found in foods like meat, fish, whole eggs, vegetables, nuts.
Minerals are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc. Minerals can be found meat, fish, poultry, grains.
Proteins are for growth, maintaining or repairing body tissues and found in food like rice, beans, dairy products, fish, meat, eggs.
Vitamins help to regulate and boost immune system of the body. They can be found in almost any product on the Earth.
Water support life and needed on regular basis.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND LESSON EVALUATION/ASSIGNMENT
As stated in the performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Allows pupils to suggest reasons for eating food.
Pupil’s Activities – Suggest reasons for eating food.
3. Guides pupils to mention various types of food.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention various types of food.
4. Guides pupils to classify these food.
Pupil’s Activities – Classify food according to their group.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Next Lesson – Balance Diet (Adequate Diet)
1. state the meaning of food.
2. list three (3) food items in home.
3. give an example of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fats and oils.
4. state three (3) reasons for eating food.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. ______________ are nourishing substance that we eat and drink, or taken into the body for healthy living.
2. ______________ are very important substance required by the body to growth and function well.
3. Foods are nourishing substance that we eat and drink, or taken into the body for ______________.
B. healthy living
4. There are ______________ classification of food required by the body to growth and function well.
5. ______________ are energy given food.
6. ______________ are for growth and function normally and help with tissue growth.
C. Fats and oils
7. ______________ are Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium and Zinc.
B. Fats and oils
8. ______________ help to regulate and boost immune system of the body.
9. ______________ are for growth, maintaining or repairing body tissues.
10. ______________ support life and needed on regular basis.
A. Fats and oils
Give two (2) examples of each of following:
11. Carbohydrates ______________ and ______________
12. Proteins ______________ and ______________
13. Minerals ______________ and ______________
14. Vitamins ______________ and ______________
15. Fats and oils ______________ and ______________
List three (3) food items in home:
State three (3) reasons for eating food: