BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning (Types) Computer System Primary 6 (Basic 6) – Computer Studies
TOPIC: COMPUTER NETWORK
1. Meaning (Types) of Computer Network
2. Where Computer Network are used
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives g
1. define computer network.
2. list three types of computer network.
The pupils can identify and define a computer system.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts of functional Computer Systems.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Course Book – Tanus Computer Studies book 6
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF COMPUTER NETWORK
Computer network is the sharing of data (information) between a set of connected computers.
TYPES OF COMPUTER NETWORK
1. Local Area Network (LAN)
2. Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
3. Wide Area Network (WAN)
LESSON 2 – WHERE COMPUTER NETWORK ARE USED
1. Schools e.g. University of Lagos, Lagos State Government University, Yaba College of Technology
2. Government Offices e.g. Lagos State Government, Lausa – Ikeja
3. Hotel Reservation System e.g. Federal Palace Hotel, Sharaton Hotel
4. Banking Industry e.g. First bank, UBA, Union bank
5. Television Stations e.g. NTA, Startime, Dstv
6. Telecommunication Companies e.g. MTN, GLO, 9mobile
7. INCE Office
8. JAMB, NECO AND WACE
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays a computer system.
3. Lets pupils identify and state the important of using a computer system.
Pupil’s Activities – Define and state the importance of computer.
4. Displays chart showing types of computer network.
5. Lets pupils identify computer networks based on the arrangement.
6. Introduces and explain the meaning of computer network.
7. Leads pupils to define and list types of networking.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain the relationship and the different between computer networks.
8. Summarizes the lesson the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. define computer network;
2. list three of computer network.