BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – SHAPE CONSTRUCTION WITH PAPER, WOOD OR METAL
1. Meaning of Shape Construction
2. Materials used for Shape Construction
3. Cutting Tools used in Shape Construction
4. Methods of Shape Construction
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the meaning of shape construction.
2. list materials used for shape construction
3. identify and state tools used in shape constructions.
4. fold and bend metal or cardboard to form an object.
Making cube, cuboid, house, car, aeroplane with papers.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
8. Sheet of metal
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Relevant link – Shape Construction with Paper – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 4)
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF SHAPE CONSTRUCTION
Shapes can be flat and 2-dimensional, like a rectangle or a triangle. However, shape construction is the making of different 3-dimensional shapes such as cylinder, cone, funnel, box, etc. using paper. Materials can be reshaped. There are different methods used in shape construction such as: folding and bending. The various materials used in shape construction will determine the type of method that will be used.
MATERIALS USED FOR SHAPE CONSTRUCTION
Materials that could be used for construction are:
Other materials in shape construction are cutting tools are scissors, cardboard, glue or gum, brush, plier, sellotape, clip and nails or pins.
LESSON TWO – CUTTING TOOLS USED IN SHAPE CONSTRUCTION
Some of the cutting tools are:
SHAPE CONSTRUCTION METHODS
There are different methods used in shape construction such as:
Teacher’s remark – The various materials used in shape construction will determine the type of method that will be used. Demonstrate materials that be fold or bend.
LESSON THREE – WEEKLY ASSESSMENTS
As stated in the performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses and defines shape construction.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussion.
3. Displays materials used for cutting in shape construction.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe the materials and cutting tools displays.
4. Demonstrates how objects can be formed by folding and bending:
Pupil’s Activities – Watch the demonstration of how to construct shapes. And construct shapes using cardboard.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
state what shape construction means.
list three (3) tools and materials used in shape construction.
use cardboard sheet to construct a cylinder, cone and box.