THEME: WORD FORMATION
TOPIC: WORD FORMATION OF ADJECTIVES FORMED FROM NOUNS
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. recall the meaning noun and adjectives.
2. form adjectives from Nouns by adding ‘ful’ or ‘less’.
2. Use the words in meaningful sentences.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Sentence strips
2. Flash cards
3. Flannel board
4. Course book
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
INTRODUCTION – NOUN AND ADJECTIVES
A noun is a name of any person, animal, place or thing.
1. a person – Michael, teacher, banker, servant…
2. animal – cat, dog, rat, elephant…
3. place – school, Lagos, kitchen, park…
4. thing – pen, DVD, shoe, whistle…
A name is called a noun.
Adjectives are words that describe or modify nouns and pronouns in a sentence.
WORD FORMATION OF ADJECTIVES FORMED FROM NOUNS
Adjectives are form nouns by adding ‘ful’ or ‘less’ to nouns.
Nouns – Adjectives
1. help – helpful
2. fear – fearful
3. care – careful
4. hope – hopeful
5. help – helpless
6. fear – fearless
7. pain – painless
8. hope – hopeless
1. I was careful in doing the work.
2. I have every hope that he should pass.
I am hopeful that he should pass.
3. The carpenter didn’t care.
The carpenter was careless.
4. Michael’s thumb gave him a lot of pain.
Michael had a painful thumb.
Add the suffixes ‘ful’ or ‘less’ to nouns to form adjectives.
1. How could you be so care___?
2. The weather was beauti___.
3. Yesterday we had a wonder____ dinner.
4. I am going to give some clothes to the home____.
5. That little girl is absolutely fear___!
6. You were really help____ to me.
7. I was success____ for the first time.
8. I spent a sleep___ night worrying about you!
9. Be care____ whenever you cross the street.
10. This is a very peace____ town.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Gives examples of adjectives formed from nouns.
Pupil’s Activities – Read the examples provided by the teacher.
3. Allow pupils to produce more examples of such adjectives.
Pupil’s Activities – Give examples of noun and turn the nouns to adjectives.
4. Guides pupils in using the adjectives to form sentences of their own.
Pupil’s Activities – Form sentences from the new adjectives.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Asks pupils to –
1. form adjectives from nouns.
2. use the adjectives in sentences.