Last Updated on September 26, 2018 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: Meal Planning for Health Living
Meal planning means making a careful plan of meals with adequate balanced diet for different situation such as for an individual, family and friends, restaurants, wedding, naming, birthday, anniversary, festival and so on.
- By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- explain the meaning of meal planning and eating for healthy living.
- discuss the importance and guidelines for healthy living.
- state factors influencing meal planning.
- identify the right food for the three meals of the day.
Food and Nutrition
- The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Chart showing the food groups
- Charts on food nutrients
- Charts showing various meal plans
- Simple menu cards
METHOD OF TEACHING
- Questions and answers
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Materials
- Online Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
GUIDELINES FOR HEALTHY EATING
- Maintain regular eating routine.
- Eat a whole lot of natural foods.
- Eat just in right amounts, neither more nor less.
- Consume seasonal fruits.
- Avoid excessive consumption of salt, spices, fats, sugars and sweets.
- Eat carbohydrates that supply plenty of fiber.
- Eat variety as it ensures supply of all essential nutrients.
- Maintain desirable weight and health.
EFFECTS OF WRONG MEAL PLANNING AND EATING HABIT
- Tooth decay
- Tigh blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease and stroke
- Some cancers
- Eating disorders
- Problems with Conceiving (for women) – this is because of large stomach.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER IN PLANNING MEALS
- Nutritional needs – vary with age, sex and daily activities.
- Time, energy and money
- Personal like and dislike
- Religion, traditions and customs
- Occasions – wedding, naming, anniversary, festival, etc.
- Cooking utensils
- The facilities and help available
- Food availability and climate
GUIDELINES FOR MEAL PLANNING
- As in factors to consider in planning a meal
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- State the importance and guidelines for healthy eating;
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in class discussions.
- Explains factors that influence meal planning;
- Explains the effect of wrong meal planning;
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the effects of healthy and unhealthy eating habits.
- Mentions the guidelines in meal planning;
- Plans meals with pupils;
- Pupil’s Activities – Write a menu card.
- Gives a board summary.
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- explain the meaning of meal planning;
- state four guidelines for healthy living;
- name the three meals of a day;
- state two guidelines for meal planning;
- list the factors that influence meal planning;
- plan a day’s menu for a family.