Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME: AGRICULTURAL TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – MAJOR USES OF ANIMAL FARM TOOLS
TOPIC – CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF FARM AND ANIMAL FARM TOOLS
1. Simple Crop and Animal Crops
2. Maintenance and Cares of Crop and Animal Farm Tools
3. Reasons for Caring and Maintaining Crop and Animal Farm Tools
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
identify and describe maintain the tools after use.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Different farm tools e.g. hoe, cutlass, spade, shovel, rake, pick axe, wheelbarrow, fishing nets, hook and line, baskets, watering troughs, feeding troughs, etc.
Poster, charts and pictures of farm tools.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Basic Agriculture for Primary Schools Pupils’ Book Four
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information – LEGIT.NG INFOGUIDENIGERIA.COM Agriculture Notes
Relevant link – Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Agriculture Primary 4 Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
Farm tools are the equipments or instruments that are used on the farm.
Examples of crop farm tools are the cutlass, hoe, rake, garden fork, spade, shovel, axe, pickaxe, wheelbarrow, secateurs, shears, sickle, head pan and watering can.
There are many kinds of tools used in animal farms. An animal farm is a place where we rear animals, such as cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, fish and poultry. Common farm animal tools are – Fishing nets, Traps, Hook and line, Baskets, Watering troughs, Feeding troughs, Lantern, etc.
MAINTENANCE AND CARE OF THE FARM TOOLS – CROPS AND ANIMAL TOOLS
1. Use farm tools for the purpose which they are made for.
2. Store in a cool dry and safe place.
3. Wash/clean and dry.
4. Rub oil on metal ends to avoid rusting.
5. Sharpening blunt edges.
6. Repair or replace all broken or damaged parts.
7. Keep records of the movement of farm tools.
8. Do not allow children to play with tools.
9. Do not leave tools with sharp parts carelessly around.
REASONS FOR CARING AND MAINTAINING FARM TOOLS
1. To make farm tools to last long.
2. To make farm tools easy to use.
3. To reduce unnecessary spending.
4. To prevent damage of farm tools.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays the tools in class.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify farm tools.
3. Demonstrates proper maintenance of farm tools.
Pupil’s Activities – Carry out proper maintenance of tools after use.
4. Give a board summary.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Assignment – Differentiate between crops and animals farm tools.
state 5 maintenance of farm tools.