Last Updated on September 11, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – GOD AS FATHER GUIDES HIS CHILDREN
PREVIOUS LESSON – GOD SPEAKS TO US
TOPIC – JACOB’S ENCOUNTER WITH GOD
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- narrate God’s message to Jacob;
- explain the right attitude to demonstrate when God is speaking to us.
Story of Esau and Jacob
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of pictures of people in the Bible receiving God’s message e.g. Jacob, Moses, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
JACOB’S ENCOUNTER WITH GOD – GEN. 32:22-32
God speaks to us through the Bible, people and Holy Spirit. God also speaks to us through vision and dream. That is not all, God also speaks to us face to face as he did with Jacob.
There was a time Jacob was troubled and he was left alone. Then a man came and wrestled with him until just before daybreak. The man said, “Let me go; daylight is coming.”
“I won’t, unless you bless me,” Jacob answered. “What is your name?” the man asked. “Jacob,” he answered.
The man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob. You have struggled with God and with men, and you have won; so your name will be Israel.”
Jacob said, “I have seen God face to face, and I am still alive”.
RIGHT ATTITUDE TO TAKE WHEN GOD IS SPEAKING – EX. 34:27-35
When God speaks to us, he tells us His mind. He wants us to know His plans and gets to know Him better. When He speaks, we must –
- Pay attention
- Be obedience
- Remember God words
- Mediates the words of God
- Have faith in God’s word
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Tells the pupils story of Jacob;
- States the purpose of God speaking to us;
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen.
- Enumerates the right attitude to show when God is speaking;
- Pupil’s Activities – Explain the right attitude to show when teachers, parents, elders are talking to them.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – We are Children of One Father
Attempt all the questions
1. God speaks to us through the ________________, ________________ and ________________.
A. Textbook, people and Holy Spirit
B. Bible, people and Holy Spirit
C. Newspaper, people and Holy Spirit
2. God also speaks to us through ________________ and ________________.
A. Vision and dream
B. Vision and mission
C. Vision and experience
3. ________________ also speaks to us face to face as he did with Jacob.
4. Who wrestling with a man?
5. ________________ name was changed to Israel.
6. Who said, “I have seen God face to face, and I am still alive”.
State 2 reasons why God speaks to us.
Mention 2 right to take when God is speaking to us.