JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
FIRST TERM EXAMINATION
CLASS – BASIC 9 (JSS 3)
ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS IN SECTION
1. Banking, insurance, advertising, communication etc are known as _____________.
(a) production activities
(b) aids to trade
(c) sales activities
(d) commercial activities
2. We care for typewriters in order to _____________.
(a) make it look shining
(b) maintain it to the last
© type more paper
(d) look beautiful
3. The factors of production are _____________, _____________,
_____________ and _____________.
4. The following are means of communication within an organization except _____________.
5. Which of the following is not an example of an item on the debit side of trial balance?
(c) Discount allowed
(d) Discount received
6. The law enacted by the government to protect consumers include all of these except _____________.
(a) Food and Drug Act 1965
(b) Price control Decree 1970
© Standard organization Decree 1971
(d) Price control Board
7. Ade made a budget of N5200 and spent N4800. What is the balance left with Ade?
8. Bank overdraft is recorded in the _____________.
(a) debit side of the trial balance
(b) debit side of the trading account
© credit side of the trial balance
(d) credit side of the trading account
9. Trial balance is prepared to get the arithmetical accuracy of the _____________.
(a) journal entries
(b) trading entries
(c) balance sheet entries
(d) ledger entries
10. The advertising media usually found on strategic points and city centre are _____________.
11. _____________ is a situation whereby one tries to be moderate in spending and in buying.
(a) Personal saving
12. If an article costs N480 and the profit of it is 20%, what is the selling price?
13. Oral communication can be made through _____________.
(a) ordinary letter
(d) registered letters
14. The intercom system is used for making _____________.
(a) internal calls
(b) international calls
(c) national calls
(d) local calls
15. One of these is not a postal service handled by NIPOST.
(a) E-mail service
(b) airmail service
(c) parcel posts
(d) provision of PMB
16. All these are GSM operators in Nigeria except _____________.
17. The following are means of water transportation except _____________
18. One of these is not a means of land transportation.
19. The following are means of advertising except _____________.
20. Calls made within a town or a city but within a country are called _____________.
(a) trunk calls
(b) local calls
(c) home calls
(d) city calls
Section B – Theory
Answer any four questions in this section.
1a. Briefly explain the word Advertising.
1b. List two items of print media of advertising.
1c. List two items of electronic media of advertising.
1d. Mention two advantages of advertising.
2a. Explain the term transportation.
2b. List five types of transportation
2c. Give two reasons why you would prefer water transportation to rail transportation.
2d. Mention two disadvantages of air transportation.
2e. Mention two advantages of pipeline transportation.
3a. What is communication?
3b. List four means of communication.
3c. List four services provided by the internet.
3d. List four services from NIPOST.
3e. List four services provided by NITEL.
4a. Who is a consumer?
4b. Define consumer protection.
4c. Why is it necessary to educate the consumers about their protection?
4d. Mention four agencies established for the protection of consumer interests in Nigeria.
5a. Define personal finance.
5b. List two sources of finance for an individual.
5c. Define the following terms: (i) consumption (ii) choice
(iii) scale of preference (iv) modesty
5d. List out two attributes of modesty.