JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS
FIRST TERM EXAMINATION
CLASS – BASIC 9 (JSS 3)
SECTION A – OBJECTIVE QUESTIONS
Answer all the questions in this section.
1. A tread made by twisting or spinning fibres is called ________________.
2. The direction of yarns or thread in a fabric is referred to as ________________.
(a) true bias
3. ________________ is a fabric construction method.
4. Which of the following fibres will not withstand creasing?
5. ________________ does not absorb moisture readily.
6. One of the following is not a natural fibre.
7. Which of the following is suitable for bed linen in Nigeria?
8. Which of the following smolder, when burnt gives the smell of burning hair or feather?
(a) Cotton and linen
(b) Nylon and silk
(c) Polyester and cotton
(d) Wool and silk
9. ________________ can damage fabrics.
10. Which for the following is correct for ironing linen and cotton?
(a) Very hot iron
(b) Hot iron
(c) Moderately hot iron
(d) Cool iron
11. Prolong exposure of wool to direct heat or sunlight ________________ it.
12. Red, yellow and blue are ________________ colours.
13. ________________ is the lightness or darkness of a colour.
14. Fat people should avoid ________________.
(a) vertical lines
(b) horizontal lines
(c) cool colours
(d) dark colors
15. A treadle machine is operated with ________________.
(d) electric motor
16. The part of the machine that lowers and raises the needle is ________________.
17. ________________ is the extra allowance in clothes.
18. Fastens are ________________, ________________ and ________________.
19. Accessories in clothes are _______________, ________________, ________________ and ________________.
20. The part of the room where settee is arranged is ________________.
Section B – Theory
Answer four (4) questions in all, question one is compulsory and any other three.
1a. What is fullness?
1b. List three types of fullness.
1c. Outline the meaning of the following; Openings and fastening. Give types each.
2a. What three problems can cause imperfect stitching by the sewing machine?
2b. State any four ways of caring for the sewing machine.
3. Draw and label at least ten (10) parts of a sewing machine.
4a. Outline any five uses of clothing.
4b. Write any five things to bear in mind when choosing odour in clothes.
5a. Define food hygiene.
5b. State five guidelines for food hygiene.
5c. List the classes of food.