BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: DRAWING PRACTICE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Uses of Building Materials JSS 1 (Basic 1) – Basic Technology
TOPIC – TECHNICAL DRAWING
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning/Definition of Technical Drawing
3. Different Types of Technical Drawing Instruments and Materials
4. Uses of Technical instruments and Materials
5. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define technical drawing.
2. identify, list and use drawing instruments.
3. state necessary precautions in the use.
The students can identify and state the uses of drawing instruments.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of drawing instruments and materials.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Drawing is a way of representing an object on paper using pencil and other drawing instruments.
Drawing Instruments are instruments used in/for drawing.
DEFINITION OF TECHNICAL DRAWING
Technical drawing can be defined as a way of representing an object on paper using pencil and other drawing instruments and materials.
This drawing communicates how something works or constructed.
DRAWING INSTRUMENTS AND MATERIALS
1. Tee square
2. Set square
3. Pair of compasses
4. French curves
6. Drawing board
7. Stencils, etc.
USES OF TECHNICAL DRAWING INSTRUMENTS AND MATERIALS
- It is used for drawing a circle.
- It is used for constructing angles.
- It is used for placing points on the drawing paper.
3. Set Squares
- It is used for drawing for vertical and horizontal lines turned in different.
- It is used for measuring distance(s) between two or more points.
- It is used for measuring angles.
- It is used for drawing a circle or semi circle.
6. T – square
- It is used for drawing horizontal and vertical lines.
7. Cleaner or eraser
8. French curves
- It is commonly used by fashion designers for drawing curve.
9. Drawing board
- It is used for drawing on a stable surface.
- It is used for creating letters or designs on a surface.
LESSON 2 – BASIC TECHNIQUES OF HANDLING TECHNICAL DRAWING INSTRUMENTS AND MATERIALS
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Make these instruments and materials available for practical demonstration on how to handle each of them.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
State 5 care of technical drawing instruments and materials.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Displays the instruments, name and demonstrates their uses.
Student’s Activities – Examine, name and describe the instruments.
3. Corrects inappropriate practice.
Student’s Activities – Take correction.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
LESSON EVALUATION/WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Ask students to correctly Identify, list and use the drawing instruments.