THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – CARE FOR FOOD
1. Meaning of Food Preservation
2. Reasons for Healthy Food Handling
3. Hygiene ways to Handle Food for Safety
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the meaning of food preservation.
2. explain the reasons for healthy food handling.
3. state the hygienic ways to handle food for safety.
Can food, freezing food, etc.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Raw foods on display.
2. Chart of food storage and preservation facilities.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays some raw foods (maize, cassava, meat or for the pupils to identify and mention ways of keeping the food from getting spoil.
Teacher’s Activities – Listen to the pupils and notes their points on the board.
Teacher’s Remark – Drying, smoking, etc. are are known as methods of preserving foods.
METHODS OF HANDLING LEFT OVER FOODS
MEANING OF FOOD PRESERVATION
Food preservation is the ways of keeping food in good condition and from being damage.
REASONS FOR HEALTHY FOOD HANDLING
To prevent food spoilage and waste.
2. To retain the colour, taste and nutritional value.
3. To prolong shelf life.
4. To reduce loss.
5. To increase food supply.
6. To prevent food contamination.
7. To make food available.
8. To save money.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses ways of preventing food wastage.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention reasons for preventing food wastage.
3. Demonstrates the healthy ways of foods handling.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice how to cover their lunch packs.
4. Discusses methods of preserving foods.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention ways of preserving foods in their homes.
5. Demonstrates two method of preserving foods.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice two methods of preserving foods.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the meaning of food preservation.
2. mention three reasons why we need to cover foods.
3. mention two methods of preserving foods.